Genetic parameters for drought tolerant related traits in groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.)
Keywords: Groundnut, Genetic variance, heritability, genetic advance.
AbstractIn order to study the genetic parameters for drought tolerant related traits in groundnut, TCGS 1043 was crossed with ICGV 05163, ICGV 06045, ICGV 93261 and TCGS 913. Genotypic co-efficient of variation (GCV), heritability (h2) and genetic advance as percentage of mean were estimated for these characters in F3 populations of four crosses.The results indicated that the traits, total biomass, shoot weight, root weight and shoot to root ratio were largely governed by additive genetic variance and hence, selection would be effective in early generations. The traits SCMR and harvest index were predominantly governed by non-additive genetic variance and selection has to be postponed to later generations The trait, SLA was influenced by both additive and non-additive gene action and selection would be moderately effective in early generations.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.