Studies on correlation of amylose content and grain dimensions in Basmati rice (Oryza sativa L.)
Basmati rice grain quality traits are the parameters which determine the export potential. Among various parameters, amylose content along with grain dimensions are important grain quality traits of Basmati rice. A total of 140 recombinant inbred lines (RILs) developed by crossing Basmati 370 and Pusa Basmati 1 were used in the present study to determine the relationship between amylose content and grain dimensions namely, grain length, breadth and length breadth ratio. Significant variations for grain length and amylose content were observed among the RILs. Grain length ranged from 6.3 mm (RIL 40) to 8.1 mm (RIL 101) whereas the amylose content ranged from low (18.1%) to intermediate (24.5%). Amylose content showed a positive and significant correlation with grain length and grain breadth whereas it was found to be negatively correlated with grain length to grain breadth ratio. This study suggested that for better cooking quality in basmati rice an optimum balance has to be maintained between the grain dimensions, particularly grain length and amylose content.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.