Line x tester mating design analysis with GMS based system for seed cotton yield, its component traits and fibre quality parameters in Asiatic cotton (Gossypium arboreum L.)
Sixteen parents and 28 F1 (14×2) genetic male sterility based cross combinations were evaluated in a line x tester mating design in Asiatic cotton (Gossypium arboreum). The statistical analysis was performed using the method developed by Kempthorne (1957) with the help of an OPSTAT computer program (developed by CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar). Sufficient variability among hybrids and their parents was found as the mean squares of genotypes for all the traits including fibre quality investigated were significant. The total genetic variability was partitioned to general combining ability (GCA) and specific combining ability (SCA). The variance due to GCA was higher than SCA for fibre strength (g/tex) only. For other traits viz., seed cotton yield, plant height (cm), bolls per plant, boll weight (g), 2.5 % span length and micronaire value, the SCA was higher which reflects the role of both additive and non-additive types of gene action (dominant or epistatic). In the present study, additive variances were significant for a 2.5% span length, fineness and fibre strength and non-additive as well as additive gene effects for seed cotton yield, plant height, boll number, boll weight and ginning percentage. GCA was significant for male parents, G-27, DLSA-17, DLSA-8, PA-496, LD-713, LD-853 and LD-733 for seed cotton yield; G-27, DLSA-17, DLSA-8, PA-255, PA-304, PA-405, PA-496 and LD-713 for plant height; G-27, DLSA-202, PAIG-8/1, PA-464 and PA-496 for bolls per plant; G-27, DLSA-202, PAIG-8/1, PA-464 and PA-496 for boll weight; DLSA-202, DLSA-17, PAIG-8/1, PA-405, PA-464, LD-733 for ginning out turn (GOT%); DLSA-202, DLSA-17, DLSA-8, PA-255, PA-464, PA-496, LD-713 and LD-733 for 2.5% span length (mm); DLSA-17, DLSA-8, PA-255, PA-464, PA-496 and LD-713 for lower micronaire value having fineness and DLSA-17, PAIG-8/1, DLSA-8, PA-255, PA-304, PA-496 and LD-713 for fibre strength (g/tex) which were considered as good general combiners. Similarly among 28 cross combinations, SCA was positively significant for 9 crosses for seed cotton yield, 11 crosses for plant height, 7 crosses for boll number, 10 crosses for boll wt, 9 crosses for GOT(%), 15 crosses for 2.5% span length, 8 crosses for micronaire and 8 crosses for fibre strength.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.