Estimation of genetic parameters through generation mean analysis for yield and its components in four upland (Gossypium hirsutum L.) cotton crosses
The present study was conducted to evaluate genetic and epistatic effects governing the inheritance of seed cotton yield and yield components using the four crosses viz., CPD 420 x LK 861, CPD 420 x 4084, NA 1325 x LK 861 and NA 1325 x 4084 and their F2, parents and back cross generations for seven characters. Estimates of gene effects through joint scaling test of three, six parameter and sequential fit model revealed that simple additive dominance model exhibited lack of good fit for all the traits indicating the role of non-allelic interactions. Differential model schemes for same trait in different crosses were noticed in the present investigation which was due to different parents involved with variable gene frequency with opposing and reinforcing gene effects. The magnitude of [d] was relatively small to that of other gene effects indicating its minor role in the inheritance of these traits. All the traits exhibited the three types of epistatic interactions viz., add x add (i), add x dom (j) and dom x dom and duplicate type of interaction in one or other cross and none of the traits showed complementary type of interaction. Linkage or higher order interactions were also observed in all the crosses which were evidenced by the significance of all the tested parameters and χ2 value.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.