Combining ability studies in Sesame (Sesamum indicum L.)
AbstractAn attempt was made to study the general and specific combining ability in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.) through L X T
analysis with ten lines and four testers. Eight characters viz., days to 50 per cent flowering, plant height, number of branches per
plant, number of capsules per plant, capsule length, number of seeds per capsule, 1000 seed weight and seed yield per plant were
studied. Based on the general combining ability effects of parents IVTS-14-07 [L6] was found to be a good general combiner for
days to 50 per cent flowering and number of capsules per plant, IVTS-215-06 [L10] was found to be good general combiner for
plant height, number of branches per plant and 1000 seed weight. IVTS-24-06 [L9] was found to be good general combiner for
number of seeds per capsule and seed yield per plant. The cross combination IVTS -17-07 X TMV 4 [L5 X T2] showed negative
,significant sca for days to 50 per cent flowering. AVTS-3-06 X TMV 3 [L4 X T1] exhibited positive and significant sca for
number of capsules per plant and seed yield per plant and hence recommended for yield improvement.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.