Heterosis studies for fruit characters in Brinjal (Solanum melongena L.)
A study was conducted in brinjal to estimate the magnitude of heterosis for eight fruit characters. Significant heterosis exhibited by different crosses for different characters over the years viz., fruit length (PRxWB-1, PB-66xPB-67 & PB-66xWB-1), fruit diameter (PB-66xPS & BARIxPS), average fruit weight (BARIxPR, BARIxPS & WB-1xPS), number of healthy fruits/plant (S. aethiopicum xBARI & BARIxPB-66), number of infested fruits/plant (S. aethiopicum xBARI, BARIxPS & BARIxPR), weight of healthy fruits/plant (BARIxPB-66, BARIxPR & PB-71xPS) and weight of infested fruits/plant (PB-67xPS, PB-66xPR & BARIxPB-67) for almost all types of heterosis. The crosses BARIxPB-66, BARIxPR and PB-71xPS exhibited highest and significant positive heterosis over better parent, mid parent and standard checks for fruit yield over the years. The present study reveals good scope for isolation of pure lines from the progenies of heterotic F1s as well as commercial exploitation of heterosis in brinjal.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.