Indian Society of Plant Breeders (ISPB)
|President||Dr. R. Ravikesavan|
|Vice-President||Dr. P. Manivel|
|Secretary||Dr. S. Sivakumar|
|Editor||Dr. R. Kalaiyarasi|
|Treasurer||Dr. N. Premalatha|
Executive Committee Members
GENESIS OF THE SOCIETY
The plant breeders' forum was inaugurated on February 26, 1995 and the forum was registered as per S. No. 191 of 1995 on 6.11.1995. A total of 110 breeders from Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Central Institute for Cotton Research, Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding and breeders from private companies and institutions and retired plant breeders joined the forum at the time of inauguration.
To extend the services of the forum from state level to national level, the members felt the need of changing its nomenclature to Indian Society of Plant Breeders (ISPB). The ISPB is functioning well under the leadership of its office bearers of the past and present.
MANDATE OF THE SOCIETY
- To provide a medium for the exchange, discussion and dissemination of current development in the field of plant breeding to its members.
- To promote the general advancement of plant breeding and to create a forum to bring together and facilitate the exchange of information amongst its members and provide opportunities for its members to establish a firm link between plant breeders in India and abroad.
- To promote the profession of plant breeding and increase professional competence in developing improved varieties and hybrids in different crops.
- To encourage PG and Ph.D students of Genetics and Plant Breeding by giving annual awards.
ACTIVITIES OF THE SOCIETY
The society is actively involved in organizing discussion groups for various crop improvement activities and is looking for the enrollment of scientists involved in crop improvement for strengthening its existence in the years to come.
The society organized following congresses:
- The First National Seminar on Breeding Strategies for 21st Century during 1 - 3 July, 1998.
- The Second National Plant Breeding Congress with theme Plant Breeding in the post-genomics era was organized during 1-3 March, 2006 at Coimbatore, India.
- The Third National Congress on Plant Breeding and Genomics to be held at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore during 7th to 9th July 2010.
- The National Seminar on Challenges and innovative Approaches in Crop Improvement was organized during December 16-17, 2014 at Coimbatore, India.
- The National symposium on Potential crops for food and nutritional security was co-organized during December 14-15, 2019 at Coimbatore, India.
- The Future challenges and prospects in Plant Breeding was organized during October 6-7, 2021 at Coimbatore, India.
Official Publication is Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding published quarterly from December 2009.
The society also published the proceeding of the seminars conducted:
Proceedings of the first National Seminar on Breeding Strategies for 21st Century
MEMBERSHIP OF THE SOCIETY
Membership of the society is open to plant breeders and geneticists interested in the improvement of crops for the benefit of human kind.
To be one of member register here
Click this link after reading the information given below
Step 1:Click the link below and Select Payment Category Life Membership Fees
Step 2: Fill all the mandatory details and amount of fee as required in the portal and Click Submit button
Step 3: Verify the details once again and Click Confirm button
Step 4: Enter your credit/debit card or Account details and process payment. On successful payment , Click to view / download the e-receipt
Step 5: Print the payment receipt and send the details through email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send your recent designation, address, contact number and email id to email@example.com
|Secretary ISPB, April 26, 2021, 3:54 PM|
Indian Society of Plant Breeders
Centre for Plant Breeding and Genetics
Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
Tamil Nadu, India.