Character association and path coefficient analysis for yield and quality traits in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.) under mid-hills of Himachal Pradesh
The present investigation was carried out to study the correlation and path coefficient between yield and quality traits at the experimental farm of Dr. Yaswant Singh Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry, Solan during Kharif season, 2014. The experiment was laid out in Randomized Complete Block Design (RCBD) with three replications. Positive association of yield components with average fruit weight, plant height, inter-nodal distance, pericarp thickness and harvest duration was observed. Significant direct effect towards yield was contributed by average fruit weight followed by number of fruits per plant, pericarp thickness and harvest duration, whereas number of fruits per cluster, number of locules per fruit, days to first picking, total soluble solids and inter-nodal distance showed negative direct effect. The indirect effect of number of fruits per cluster was of sufficient magnitude via number of fruits per plant. Pericarp thickness and locular wall thickness also exhibited high indirect effect via average fruit weight. Considering the direct and indirect effect of various components characters, it was ascertained that average fruit weight, number of fruits per plant, pericarp thickness and harvest duration are the characters to be emphasized in improving the yield.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.