Combining ability analysis for latex yield and its related traits in opium poppy (Papaver somniferum L.)
Combining ability studies for eight parents and their all possible crosses (excluding reciprocals) of opium poppy were grown at experimental farm of Plant Breeding and Genetics, Rajasthan College of Agriculture, Maharana Pratap University of Agriculture and Technology, Udaipur (Rajasthan). This experiment was conducted in random block design with three replications and estimate combining ability for latex yield and yield related traits. Combining ability analysis indicated that mean square due to gca and sca were significant for all the characters, expect for plant height for sca, indicating the importance of both additive as well as non-additive genetic effect for the inheritance of all the characters under pooled over environments. Parents UOP-69, UOP-80 and UOP-99 were good general combiners for most of the important characters specially latex yield per plant, seed yield per plant, effective capsules per plant, seed harvest index and morphine content in pooled over the environments. The parent UOP-53 was also good general combiner for morphine content. The parent UOP-79 possessed good nicking ability for earliness and short plant stature. On pooled basis, the hybrids UOP-80 x UOP-20, UOP-53 x UOP-1185, UOP-79 x UOP-60, UOP-79 x UOP-20, UOP-79 x UOP-1185 and UOP-80 x UOP-1185 also showed high SCA effect for latex, seed and husk yield per plant, it could be used for exploitation of heterosis for latex yield potential and other related traits.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.