Rice TKM 13: A high yielding medium duration fine grain variety
Medium duration fine grain rice culture TM 07275, a cross derivative of WGL 32100 / Swarna was released as Rice TKM 13 by State Variety Release Committee (SVRC) during 2015 as an alternate variety to BPT 5204. Rice TKM 13 is a semi-dwarf, erect, high tillering and non lodging variety and matures in 125-130 days. This variety is best suited for thaladi season (September sowing) of Cauvery delta region and samba season (August-September sowing) of other districts in Tamil Nadu. In the overall mean performance, the variety has recorded a overall mean grain yield of 5938 kg/ha in 159 locations which was 6.2 and 10.1 per cent increase over the check varieties CO (R) 49 (5592 kg/ha) and BPT 5204 (5390 kg/ha) respectively. It has medium slender fine grain with 1000 grain weight of only 13.8 g, which is lesser than all medium duration rice varieties. The rice is translucent with high milling (75.5%) and head rice yield (71.7%), which is on par with the check variety BPT 5204. Cooking quality and organoleptic characters are comparably similar to BPT 5204. It is moderately resistant to leaf folder, stem borer, GLH, blast, RTD, brown spot and sheath rot, which are its added advantages. In National trials conducted in 101 locations, TKM 13 has recorded a grain yield of 5201 kg/ha which was 11.2 per cent increase over the national check variety IR 64. Based on the superior performance, the variety was identified by Variety Identification Committee (VIC) for Central Variety Release Committee (CVRC) release in the western states viz., Gujarat and Maharashtra
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.