Association analysis for oil yield yield and component traits in sunflower
Keywords: Sunflower, oil yield, hull per cent, kernel content, oil content, correlation
AbstractSimple correlation analyses was studied in 35 hybrids along with 12 parents of sunflower in order to understand the relationship between yield and its component characters. Observations were recorded on 11 traits viz.,50% flowering, plant height, head diameter, volume weight, 100-seed weight, hull weight, kernel weight, hull percentage, oil content, seed yield per plant and oil yield per plant. The results revealed that all the observed traits are important as selection indices for oil and seed yield improvement programme. It may also be noted that the oil content had significant and negative association with hull per cent and no association with hull weight. The association between oil content and hull per cent might be due to the derived data from hundred seed weight and also kernel weight. Tratis viz., plant height, days to 50 per cent flowering, head diameter, volume weight, kernel weight, hull content and 100-seed weight, oil content and seed yield per plant are important and hence due emphasis should be given in selection programme for oil yield per plant.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.