Character association and path coefficient analysis of pod yield and yield components in virginia bunch groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.)
Correlation and path coefficient analysis were carried out for pod yield and its component characters in 10 genotypes of Virginia bunch groundnut. The genotypic correlation coefficients were found to be of relatively higher magnitude than the corresponding phenotypic correlation coefficients, indicating strong inherent association between the characters. Correlation studies indicated that number of mature pods per plant, biological yield per plant, biological yield per hectare, 100 kernel weight, oil yield per hectare, kernel yield per plant, kernel yield per hectare and pod yield per hectare showed significant positive association with pod yield per plant both at phenotypic and genotypic levels. Path analysis studies revealed that kernel yield per plant and 100 kernel weight exerted maximum positive direct effect on pod yield per plant. Hence, it would be rewarding to give due importance on the selection of these characters for rapid improvement in pod yield of Virginia bunch groundnut.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.