Studies on root traits for drought tolerance in aerobic rice (Oryza sativa L.) using polythene bags
The present investigation was carried out under aerobic condition to evaluate twenty five genotypes for drought tolerance potentiality conferred by root traits. To study the root related traits in the field conditions will be the difficult task as well as the accuracy will not be there to overcoming these problems.The root studies were done in PVC pipes as well as in polythene bags. The genotypes were raised in polythene bags, from which the following observations were recorded on eight important root traits viz., root length, root number at 15,30 and 45 cm, root volume, root density, root thickness, root weight. Six genotypes viz., PMK 4, MAS 946, Annada, KMP 175, PMK 2 and Vandana showed significantly superior mean values for most of the root traits included in the study. Therefore, these genotypes can be used as potential donors in drought resistance breeding programme.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.