Morphological Characterization and Evaluation of Little millet (Panicum sumatrense Roth. ex. Roem. and Schultz.) Germplasm
AbstractEvaluation of hundred and nine little millet germplasm accessions was done during rabi, 2008-2009 at
Department of Millets, Centre for Plant Breeding and Genetics, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University,
Coimbatore to study descriptive statistics, genetic variability, correlation and path analysis of yield and its
components. High estimates of variability together with high heritability and high genetic advance were
observed for grain yield, number of productive tillers per plant, total number of tillers per plant, flag leaf width
and flag leaf sheath length indicated additive gene effects for these characters. Phenotypic selection based on
these characters may be effective for yield improvement. Highly significant positive correlations of most of the
component characters with grain yield and strong inter correlation among themselves indicated possibility of
simultaneous improvement of these characters by selection. High positive direct effect and indirect effects of
other characters through days to 50 per cent flowering indicated this character should be given importance in
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.