Evaluation and Identification of Alternaria leaf spot resistant sunflower genotypes
AbstractAll India coordinated sunflower entries belonging to advance hybrid trial were screened initially by infector row technique under field conditions followed by green house conditions by artificial inoculation during 2007 and 2008 for Alternaria leaf blight resistance. The study indicated that field screening alone is not dependable for assessing the disease resistance, especially when the disease pressure is less because of chances of disease escape. The present study clearly shows that green house assay is particularly useful when field screening is ineffective due to unfavourable environmental conditions or co-presence of other foliar pathogens.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.