Combining ability and gene action study for seed cotton yield and its related traits in diploid cotton (Gossypium arboreum L.)
Present study aims to estimate GCA of the parents and SCA of GMS based diploid cotton hybrids for yield and its associate traits. The magnitude of the components of GCA and SCA variances showed preponderance of non additive gene action for all the characters studied. Based on the GCA effects the male parent HD 517 was best general combiner for seed cotton yield, number of bolls, boll weight, number of monopods and days to first flower. HD 534 was found best combiner for ginning out turn, boll weight, number of seeds per boll and days to first flower for earliness. Among the female DGMS 34 was the best combiner for the characters viz., Seed cotton yield, number of bolls and number of seeds per boll. The hybrids DGMS 34 x HD 517, DGMS 34 x HD 523 and DGMS 2 x HD 528 recorded superior per se performance for number of bolls, boll weight and seed cotton yield and other characters. For seed cotton yield and yield related traits the good SCA effects were observed in the hybrids DGMS 2 x HD 528, DGMS 1 x HD 432, DGMS 34 x HD 517 and DGMS 34 x HD 523 along with good per se performance.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.