Study of combining ability effects in forage sorghum hybrids for yield and quality traits
Sorghum is a multipurpose crop being used as food, feed, fodder and fuel. The objective of the study was to investigate breeding values of new F1 forage sorghum hybrids using line x tester crossing of six A1 cytoplasm type male sterile lines with five fertile local inbred lines and varieties, and 30 F1 hybrids were produced. Both parental lines and their F1 hybrids were field-evaluated for yield and quality traits for two successive years. On the basis of two year hybrids evaluation programme, the lines, 637 A and 753 A were good general combiners for fodder yield and related traits and the lines 467A was found good general combiner for total soluble solids TSS. The testers HJ 541 and IS 2389 were found good general combiners for various yield traits and TSS. On the basis of specific combining ability, the crosses 467A X 2389, 725A X 308, 2219A X G46 and 2219A X HJ 541 were found to be promising for yield related traits. The crosses 467A X 2389, 637AX HJ 541, 637A X HC 308 exhibited good standard heterosis for fodder yield and related traits and the crosses 9A X 2389, 725A X 2389 and 753A X 2389 for TSS. On the basis of above study 467A X 2389 hybrid was found to be promising for fodder yield and related traits
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.