Character association for fruit yield and yield traits in Salacia chinensis L.: A threatened medicinal plant
An experiment was undertaken to study the correlation and path analysis in thirteen accessions of Salacia chinensis L. Correlation study revealed that plant height, plant spread, fruit diameter, fruit weight, seed diameter, seed length and seed weight had positive significant correlation with fruit yield per plant at both genotypic and phenotypic levels. According to path analysis the seed length, plant height and seed diameter recorded positive and high direct effects on fruit yield per plant while, seed weight, fruit length and leaf length had high negative direct effects on fruit yield per plant. Thus based on correlation and path analysis, the traits viz., plant height, plant spread, fruit diameter, fruit weight, seed diameter, seed length and seed weight can be considered as selection indices for high yield.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.