Sorghum K 12(TKSV 0809) - A high yielding dual purpose sorghum variety for southern district of Tamil Nadu
Sorghum K 12 (TKSV 0809) is a high yielding dual-purpose sorghum variety identified for winter rainfed vertisol tracts of southern districts of Tamil Nadu. TKSV 0809 is a hybrid derivative of the cross SPV 772 x S 35-29 and evolved with an objective of development of high yielding dual-purpose short duration sorghum variety suitable for winter rainfed vertisol tracts of Tamil Nadu. TKSV 0809 was released as Sorghum K 12 variety to replace the existing variety K 8 during 2015 from Agricultural Research Station, Kovilpatti. K 12 sorghum is a short duration variety which matures in 95-100 days. K 12 sorghum is a photo insensitive variety suitable for growing in all seasons of Tamil Nadu against the ruling variety K8 which is photosensitive and suitable for Kharif season only. It recorded an average grain yield of 3123 kg/ha under the rainfed condition which is 22.4 and 23.9 per cent increased over the check K 8 and CSV 17 respectively. The K 12 Sorghum exhibited a potential grain yield of 5801 kg/ha under summer irrigated condition which is 139.3 per cent increased yield over check variety K 8. K 12 sorghum (TKSV 0809) is a dual-purpose variety with an average dry fodder yield of 11.9 tonnes /ha. The dry fodder yield was 31.8% increased yield over local check K 8 and 40.7% over zonal check CSV 17. The grains are creamy white in colour and suitable for cooking, popping, flaking and other value-added products. It is moderately resistant to shoot fly, stem borer and resistant to downy mildew.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.