Callus induction in Hydnocarpus pentandra (Buch. Ham.) Oken using shoot tips
Hydnocarpus pentandra (Buch. Ham.) Oken is a Vulnerable medicinal tree found in Western Ghats of India. It is highly exploited due to its medicinal properties and it is mainly used in leprosy treatment. An experiment was undertaken at Division of Plant Genetic Resources, ICAR-Indian Institute of Horticultural Sciences, Bengaluru during 2018-19. The experiment was laid down in Completely Randomized Design (CRD) with 16 treatments and three replications. Shoot tips from young seedlings were used as explant and treated in MS media with a different hormonal combination like Benzyl Amino Purine (BAP), Indole Acetic Acid (IAA), Kinetin and Thiaduzerol (TDZ). Among the treatments, highest shoot length (2.06 cm) and maximum number of shoots produced per explant (3.86) were found in the treatment combination of BAP (1.0 mg/l) and TDZ (0.5 mg/l) followed by the treatment combination of BAP (2.4 mg/l) and IAA (0.05 mg/l). Few treatments showed callus formation but no shoots were developed in these treatments.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.