Studies on genetic variability in finger millet [Eleusine coracana (L.) Gaertn] genotypes under sodic conditions
The present study was carried out during kharif 2018 at Anbil Dharmalingam Agricultural College and Research Institute, Trichy under sodic field condition. The experimental material comprising of 120 finger millet genotypes along with two checks viz., TRY 1and Paiyur 2 was laid out in randomized complete block design. Observations were recorded for 13 quantitative characters and the data were analyzed for biometric characters viz., phenotypic coefficient of variation (PCV), genotypic coefficient of variation (GCV), heritability(h2) and genetic advance as per cent of mean (GAM).High PCV and GCV were recorded for the characters Na+/K+ ratio, grain yield per plant, number of tillers per plant, number of productive tillers per plant and straw yield per plant indicating the presence of high variability among the finger millet genotypes. High heritability coupled with genetic advance as per cent of mean was observed for all the characters except days to maturity it may be due to additive effects and selection may be effective for those character with high heritability and genetic advance viz., days to 50% flowering, plant height, earhead length, finger length, number of fingers per earhead, number of tillers per plant, number of productive tillers per plant, 1000 grain weigh, Na+/K+ ratio, straw yield per plant and grain yield per plant.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.