Estimation of combining ability of yield and different agronomic traits in interspecific cotton hybrids
The experiment was carried out to investigate the general combining ability of elite genotypes of seven hirsutum and six barbadense lines and the heterotic values and specific combinig ability of the 42 interspecific hybrids obtained by line x tester analysis mating design for twelve characters. The analysis of variance revealed presence of sufficent genetic variability for all the characters in the experimental material. The seed cotton yield and yield attributing characters exhibited non-additive gene action and also their hybrid mean were significantly higher than parental mean. The parents MERREL-1, BCS-9, G.Cot.20, GSB 41 and DB 1602 were good general combiners for seed cotton yield and important yield contributing characters. The hybrids G.Cot.20 x BD 1602, G.Cot.20 x GSB 41 and BCS-9 x DB 1602 noted for their high per se performance, sca estimates and having both parents of good gca effects for seed cotton yield per plant and may recommended for future breeding programme.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.