Evaluation of drought tolerance indices for identification of drought tolerant and susceptible genotypes in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)
This experiment was designed to identify the drought tolerant and susceptible genotypes in wheat genotypes collected from different wheat breeding centre of India. The experiment was conducted in alpha lattice design under stress and non-stress conditions to estimate the drought tolerance indices. Nine drought tolerance viz., Tolerance index (TOL), Mean productivity (MP), Harmonic mean (HM), Stress susceptibility index (SSI), Yield index (YI), Relative drought index (RDI), Grain yield per plant under potential condition (Yp ), Grain yield per plant under stress condition (Ys) were calculated. The indices were estimated based on grain yield under stress condition (Ys) and non-stress condition (Yp). These indices were subjected for analysis of variance, correlation coefficient analysis, cluster analysis. SSI is suggested as useful indicator for wheat breeding where the stress is severe; while MP, TOL and HM are suggested if the stress is less severe. Based on grain yield per plant twenty-one tolerant genotypes and eleven susceptible genotypes were identified. Identified tolerant and susceptible genotypes can be used for the development of mapping populations to identify QTLs for drought tolerance in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.).
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.