Genetic studies on sesamin and sesamolin content and other yield attributing characters in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.)
Sesamum (SesamumindicumL.) is an important ancient oilseed crop known to mankind, which is considered as Queen of Oilseed crops. Lignans a group of secondary metabolites present in seeds which are responsible for the therapeutic value, especially sesamin and sesamolin possess various biological properties attributing to its health promoting effects. Four low lignan lines and four high lignan lines were selected and hybrids synthesized in Line x Tester mating design. These hybrids were raised during Kharif 2019 in RCBD design with three replications. The genotype JLS-57 was identified as good general combiner for seed yield, the total number of capsules, plant height, the number of primary branches and the number of secondary branches, sesamin and sesamolin content showing a significant GCA effect. The tester GUN-18 and PKDS-12 shows significant GCA effects towards seed yield, plant height, sesamin and sesamolin content. The cross (KRISHNA x PKDS-12) shows high and negative SCA effects towards sesamin and sesamolin content. The cross (JLS 57 x PKDS 12) was high and positive SCA effects towards earliness and 1000 seed weight, but low towards yield and sesamin and sesamolin content. The crosses (JLS-57 x GUN-18), (SI-3099 x PKDS 12) and (IC-205071 x GUN-18) shows high SCA effects towards sesamin and sesamolin content. These crosses will be evaluated in further generations for isolating high sesamin, sesamolin content and high yield.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.