Efficiency and effectiveness of physical and chemical mutagens in cowpea (Vigna ungiculata (L.)Walp)
A study was conducted in cowpea (Vigna ungiculata) varieties, VBN 3 and CO(CP) 7 to find the efficiency and
effectiveness of physical (Gamma rays and Electron beam) and chemical (EMS) mutagens. A wide range of chlorophyll mutants and viable mutants were observed in the field. Overall chlorophyll mutant and viable mutant frequency was higher in EMS treatments in both the varieties. Mutagenic efficiency and effectiveness was also found to be higher in EMS treatments followed by electron beam and gamma rays. Mutagenic effectiveness and efficiency decreased with increase in doses of all mutagenic treatments.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.