Heterosis and inbreeding depression for seed yield and its component traits in castor (Ricinus communis L.)
AbstractThe present investigation was undertaken with a view to generate genetic information on heterosis and inbreeding depression for seed yield and its component traits. The heterosis over better parent was found significant in desirable direction for number of capsules on main raceme in JP 96 x JI 368; for length of main raceme, effective length of main raceme and number of capsules on main raceme in cross JP 96 x JI 372; and for oil content in cross JP 101 x SKI 215. Inbreeding depression was observed significant for shelling outturn, seed yield per plant and 100-seed weight in JP 96 x JI 368; for length and effective length of main raceme, number of capsules per plant and oil content in cross JP 96 x JI 372; and for days to maturity, plant height, number of nodes and 100-seed weight in cross JP 101 x SKI 215. In majority of cases, a close agreement was seen between the observed and the expected values of relative heterosis, heterobeltiosis and inbreeding depression in all the three castor crossses with few exemptions.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.