Correlation Coefficient and Path Coefficient Analysis for Yield Components in Groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.)
Keywords: Character association, Path analysis, Groundnut.
AbstractThe study was undertaken to estimate correlation coefficients and direct and indirect effects by path analysis for pod yield per plant and its components by using 100 genotypes of Spanish bunch groundnut. The pod yield per plant was significantly and positively correlated with days to maturity, plant height, number of pods per plant, kernel yield per plant, number of mature pods per plant, 100-kernel weight, biological yield per plant and harvest index. Biological yield per plant and harvest index exhibited high and positive direct effects on pod yield per plant. Whereas, kernel yield per plant, number of pods per plant and days to maturity showed moderate and positive direct effects on pod yield per plant. Thus, these characters were identified as the most important yield components and due emphasis should be placed on these characters while selecting for high yielding genotypes in Spanish bunch groundnut.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.