Combining ability analysis for yield and some quality traits in spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)
Keywords: Wheat, combining, ability, analysis, qualitytraits, geneaction, diallel analysis.
AbstractCombining ability analysis was studied in a 10 × 10 diallel cross of spring wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). The analysis of variance for combining revealed that the variance due to gca and sca were highly significant for all the characters indicated that both the additive and non-additive gene actions were involved in the expression of the traits. The genotypes WH 1094, PBW 590 and PBW 373 were considered as the best general combiners, while hybrids DBW 58 x DBW 17, PBW 550 x PBW 373, MP 1236 x PBW 373, WH 1094 x PBW 590, PBW 590 x PBW 373, RAJ 3765 x HD 2687, PBW 590 x WH 711, MP 1236 x PBW 550, RAJ 3765 x DBW 58, HD 2687 x WH 711 and MP 1236 x WH 1094 as good specific combinations for grain yield and other yield contributing and quality traits. The promising parents namely PBW 373, PBW 590 and WH 1094 which are having high gca effects in desirable direction for yield components and for quality traits may be incorporated in crossing programme to have better genotypes for yield better and quality. The crosses PBW 550 x PBW 373, MP 1236 x PBW 373, WH 1094 x PBW 590, MP 1236 x PBW 550 and RAJ 3765 x DBW 58 which showed good sca effects for major yield and more than six yield components characters were also found superior for gluten content, ash content and showed low reaction of phenol on the grains, may be exploited for better yield and chapati quality either by exploiting them through heterosis breeding or involving them in multiple cross breeding programme for obtaining transgressive segregants and broad genetic base population in wheat for improvement in yield.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.