Character association and path analysis in Virginia groundnut (Arachis hypogaea L.)
Fifty diverse genotypes of Virginia groundnut were evaluated during summer 2014 for genetic parameters viz., correlation and path analysis. The magnitudes of genotypic correlation coefficients were higher as compared to the corresponding phenotypic correlation coefficients. The pod yield per plant had highly significant and positive correlations at phenotypic level with days to 50% flowering, number of mature pods per plant, kernel yield per plant, 100-kernel weight, biological yield per plant, shelling out-turn and harvest index. Path analysis revealed that the kernel yield per plant had high and positive direct effect on pod yield per plant. Hence, it would be rewarding to give due importance on the selection of these characters for rapid improvement in pod yield of groundnut.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.