Combining ability for yield & yield contributing characters in rice (Oryza sativa L.)
AbstractA line X tester analysis was made in rice with seven ovule parents and four pollinator parents so as to identify suitable general
and specific combiner for breeding program. Dominant type of gene action for all the six traits namely, days to 50 percent
flowering, plant height, number of productive tillers per plant, number of grains per panicle, hundred grain weight and grain
yield per plant was observed. Parents JAYA and CRAC 2221-67 were good general combiners for grain yield per plant and
most of the yield traits. The cross combinations CRAC2221-67 x JAYA and IR6331-1-B-3R-B-24-3 X JAYA were the best
specific combiners for grain yield per plant. Hence, these two cross combinations may be used for exploitation of heterosis for
yield and yield contributing traits in rice.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.