Variability studies for seed and seedling traits in Pongamia pinnata (L.) Pierre at Tamil Nadu
The present investigation was carried out at Forest College and Research Institute, Mettupalayam, Tamil Nadu to identify the best half sibs of Pongamia pinnata across its natural distribution areas in south India for further collection of seeds for afforestation or breeding purpose. The seeds were collected from different agro climatic zones of Tamil Nadu. Seeds were measured for its length, width, thickness, test weight and volume and then sown in nursery to study the variation in germination and initial growth parameters and biomass viz., germination per cent, germination vigour, shoot length, root length and root and shoot dry weight of seedlings. Seeds collected from southern zone were superior compared to seeds from other parts in all the traits considered for the study. These seed sources can be further screened for tree improvement traits considering their immense value in yielding bio diesel.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.