Economic heterosis in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.): Seed yield and yield attributing traits in newly developed hybrids
Present investigation was carried out to spot out the best parent combinations giving high degree of useful heterosis for economic traits like seed yield and other yield attributing characters for sunflower breeding programme. Economic/Standard heterosis is the measure of heterosis in terms of superiority over the standard check(s) / hybrid(s). The degree of heterosis varied for important useful characters among different crosses. Presence of high heterosis in certain crosses and low in others suggested that the nature of gene action varied with genetic architecture of the parents. For seed yield (kg/ha),the range of significant heterosis was observed from -21.4 per cent (CMS-10A XR-6D-1) to +19.0 per cent (P-2-7-1A X R 601958) along with two hybrids namely P-2-7-1A X R 601958 (19.0 %) and CMS-10 A X R-104 (12.4%) over standard check LSFH-171. The range of economic heterosis over DRSH-1 was recorded from -7.8 per cent (CMS-10A XR-6D-1) to 39.6 per cent (P-2-7-1A X EC-601958) with a total of twelve hybrids registering significant positive heterosis over DRSH-1. Among them, P-2-7-1A X EC-601958958(39.6 %), CMS-10 A X R-104(31.8)%), P-89-1A XEC-601958(22.4%) and CMS-302A X EC-512682(20.0 %) were found to be a superior crosses. For oil yield (kg/ha), significant heterosis was observed from -21.8 per cent (P-89-1A X R-630) to 22.60 per cent (P-2-7-1A X R 601958) along with the five hybrids such as P-2-7-1A X R 601958(22.6%), P-89-1A X EC-601958 (15.9%), P-2-7-1A X R-6D-1(15.6 %) and P-89-1A X R-104 (11.3 %), over standard check LSFH-171. Whereas, the significant heterosis over DRSH-1was recorded from -19.5 per cent (P-89-1A X R-630) to 26.2 per cent (P-2-7-1A X R 601958). The four crosses such as P-2-7-1A X R 601958 (22.6%, 26.2%), P-89-1A XEC-601958 (15.9 %,19.3%), P-2-7-1A X R-6D-1(15.6 %, 14.9%) and P-89-1A X R-104 (11.3 %,14.6%) recorded the highest significant heterosis over both the checks LSFH-171 and DRSH-1 for the traits namely seed yield and oil content respectively.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.