Breeding for evolution of photo-insensitive pole type vegetable dolichos (Lablab purpureus L.) varieties to suit year round cultivation
Photosensitivity in pole types of vegetable dolichos is a major production constraint limiting its production to rabi. Presently, the pole type varieties are gaining popularity among farmers because of their higher yield levels. To accomplish the development of high yielding, pole type and photo-insensitive varieties, hybridization was done between (IC 556824-IPS-2 X Arka Swagath) and (IIHR 178 X Arka Swagath), wherein superior transgressive seggregants from both the crosses were selected and crossed with Arka Amogh. Followed by pedigree method of breeding, the lines were advanced upto F7 generation wherein six advanced breeding lines comprising of photo-insensitive trait, high yield and promising pod characters were selected and evaluated using pole type check varieties during both kharif and rabi for three years in succession from 2015-2017. All the advanced breeding lines had normal flowering in both the seasons as well as outperformed the checks with yield ranging from 37.2 to 41.1 t/ha during kharif and 37.9 to 41.4 t/ha in rabi, whereas in checks yield was comparatively lower ranging from 15.2 to 26.3 t/ha and 17.4 to 26.7 t/ha during kharif and rabi respectively.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.