Rice ADT 51 - A high yielding long duration rice variety suitable for Samba season in Cauvery Delta Zone of Tamil Nadu
In Tamil Nadu, rice is the predominant crop during samba season. In the Cauvery Delta Zone around 2.5 lakh hectares purely depend on water from Cauvery in Samba season during the normal years of water release from Cauvery, CR 1009 is predominantly grown variety without any alternate varieties. Mono cropping of CR 1009 leads to susceptibility to pests such as brown plant hoppers (BPH) stem borers and diseases such as blast, bacterial leaf blight (BLB), grain discolouration and false smut. In order to provide a choice variety to farmers’ one long duration rice culture, AD 09367 a derivative of the cross BPT 5204 / Improved White ponni was released as Rice ADT 51 during the year 2018. ADT 51 matures in 155 to 160 days with tall, erect and high tillering plant habit and well adapted to single season canal dependent rice growing areas of Cauvery delta for Samba season (August-September sowing). ADT 51 has recorded a mean grain yield of 6533 kg/ha which is 9.8 and 12.7 per cent higher than CR 1009 (5947 kg/ha) and ADT 50 (5796 kg/ha) respectively. At Thiruvisanallur, Thanjavur district it manifested highest yield of 10036 kg/ha and the OFT farmer, Mr. Baskar received first prize in the district level crop yield competition for the year 2016. Besides its yield superiority, ADT 51 is resistant to blast and moderately resistant to leaf folder, stem borer, BPH, Sheath blight and sheath rot. The milled rice of this variety is white, medium grade with a 1000 grain weight of 23.9 g. High milling and head rice yield and cooking qualities of ADT 51 are comparable with CR 1009. Opinion from farmers revealed that, vigorous growing nature and tolerance to major pest and diseases of this culture requires less inputs especially nitrogenous fertilizer and plant protection chemicals for cultivation. The characters such as more no. of productive tillers, less chaffiness and quick establishment of seedling are its added advantages.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.