Genetic diversity of parental clones used in breeding programs of sugarcane
The present investigation aimed to assess the nature and magnitude of genetic divergence available in the Hybridization Block (E1) and National Hybridization Garden (E2) of ICAR-Sugarcane Breeding Institute, Coimbatore and to select the suitable diverse genotypes as parents for further utilization. Principal component and hierarchical cluster analyses were carried out in sixty eight genotypes with nine traits. In E1, the first three principal components explained about 73.45 per cent of the total variability and remaining six components accounted 26.55 per cent of variability. The PC 1 explained a maximum variability of 44.85 per cent followed by PC 2 and PC3. In E2, the first three principal components explained about 76.71 per cent of the total variability among the genotypes and the remaining six components described 23.29 per cent towards the total diversity. Nineteen clones viz., Co 0314, Co 8371, Co 85019, Co 86010, Co 94008, Co 98010, Co 11015, Co 12014, Co 14002, CoSnk 05103, CoV 89101, CoV 92103, CoC 671, CoT 8201 Co 1148, CoH 119, SP 80-185, ISH 100 and ISH 2 were found promising in both the environments indicating their potential to perform under varied ecological situations. Twenty clones in E1 and 38 clones in E2 can be further exploited as trait specific donors and the traits cane height, cane diameter, cane weight should be given more emphasis for further selection.
Sugarcane, PCA, parental lines, diversity
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.