Genetic analysis for seed cotton yield and its contributing traits in interspecific crosses of diploid cotton (G. herbaceum × G. arboreum)
Generation mean study was carried out in two interspecific crosses of diploid cotton i.e., GBhv-302 × PA-812 and GBhv-302 × ARBa-1502 using six parameter model. Simple scaling tests along with joint scaling test were carried out to check the sufficiency of additive-dominance model. The estimates of dominant (h) gene action were higher than the additive (d) gene action in one or more characters studied. Among epistasis, additive × additive (i) type of gene action was found to be significant in cross GBhv-302 × PA-812 for sympodia per plant and ginning outturn and in cross GBhv-302 × ARBa-1502 for sympodia per plant, bolls per plant and seed cotton yield per plant. While dominance × dominance (l) type of gene effect contributed significantly in cross GBhv-302 × PA-812 for sympodia per plant and in cross GBhv-302 × ARBa-1502 for sympodia per plant, average boll weight, bolls per plant, average boll weight and seed cotton yield per plant. Duplicate type of epistasis was observed for sympodia per plant in both the crosses, for bolls per plant and seed cotton yield per plant in cross GBhv-302 × ARBa-1502 and for ginning outturn in cross GBhv-302 × PA-812. While complementary type of gene interaction was detected for bolls per plant and seed cotton yield per plant in cross GBhv-302 × PA-812 and for average boll weight and ginning outturn in cross GBhv-302 × ARBa-1502.
Diploid cotton, additive, dominance and epistasis gene actions
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.