Genetic variability, correlation and path analysis in mango ginger (Curcuma amada ROXB.)
The present investigation was carried out at the Research Farm, Department of Genetics and Plant Breeding, Navsari Agricultural University, Navsari, Gujarat during the kharif, 2018. Twelve different quantitative characters related to rhizome yield were recorded and subjected for estimation of analysis of variance. The result revealed significant differences among the genotypes indicating presence of sufficient amount of variability in all the characters studied. Wide range of variation by virtue of exhibiting highly significant genotypic differences for all the twelve traits. The value of phenotypic coefficient of variation was recorded higher and closer to the respective genotypic coefficient of variation for majority of traits under study indicates less influence of environment. The magnitudes of genotypic correlations were higher as compared to the corresponding phenotypic correlations indicating that there was an inherent association between all the characters at genotypic level. Path coefficient analysis showed rhizome width, leaf width, mother rhizomes per plant, leaf length and leaves per plant exhibited positive direct effects on green rhizome yield per plant. Hence, priority should be given to these traits in mango ginger improvement programme.
Keywords: Correlation, Heritability, Mango ginger, Path analysis, Variability
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.