A dual purpose, high yielding little millet (Panicum sumatrense) variety ‘GV-4’ (Ambika) for cultivation in Gujarat
The little millet variety ‘GV-4’ (Ambika) is a pure line selection from the local germplasm collected from the Dang District. A little millet variety ‘GV-4’ was tested as a genotype name ‘WV-126’. ‘WV 126’ was tested under the various state trials found to be superior for grain yield (2933 kg/ha) by 21.20, 13.78, 44.39 and 31.44 per cent over the existing checks i.e. GV-2 (LC), GNV-3 (LC), CO-2 (NC) and OLM-203 (NC), respectively over thirteen trials and seven years (2014-15 to 2020-21) of study. The genotype matures in 120-125 days includes under medium duration variety. The genotype WV-126 has 9-10 branches per panicle and 35.5 cm average panicle length. It has special attributes of synchronized maturity and non-lodging growth habit. WV-126 is rich in calcium (17.1 mg/100g), protein (12.91 g/100g), fat (3.3 %), crude fiber (7.5 %), carbohydrates (70.40 g/100g) and minerals (2.7 g/100g). It is resistant to blast (leaf, neck and panicle) and moderately resistant to grain smut and sheath blight when compared to local check GV-2 and GV-3 and national check CO-2, OLM-203 and JK-8. A little millet variety ‘GV-4’ (Gujarat Vari-4) was released as a new variety for cultivation during kharif under rainfed conditions of Gujarat state.
Key words: Little millet, high yielding variety, yield attributing characters, nutritional quality etc.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.