Per se perforformance and heterosis for shoot and fruit borer (Leucinodes orbonalis Gn) resistance and yeild in brinjal (Solanum melongena L.)
AbstractNine parents involving full diallel mating design was used to obtain the hybrids. Heterosis effect on different characters
along with fruit yield and shoot and fruit borer resistance in brinjal was estimated. The cross EP 12 x MDU 1 recorded the
highest heterobeltiosis per cent followed by EP 65 x Pusa Uttam and the best parent heterosis was maximum in EP 65 x
Pusa Uttam for marketable yield per plant. For shoot borer infestation the highest negative heterobeltiosis was recorded in
the hybrid EP 5 x APAU Bagmathi. The hybrid EP 65 x MDU 1 registered negative significant best parent heterosis. The
highest significant and negative best parent heterosis was measured by the hybrid EP 65 x Pusa Uttam (-18.40) for fruit
borer infestation. Only one hybird viz., EP 65 x Pusa Uttam showed positive and significant heterosis as best parent
heterosis. Hence, this hybrid can be suggested for commercial cultivation so as to get high marketable yield and also to
exploit hybrid vigour for low shoot and fruit borer incidence.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.