Study on the heterosis for yield and yield contributing traits in sesame (Sesamum indicum L.)
The present investigation was undertaken with an objective to study the magnitude of heterosis involved in 32 hybrids obtained by crossing four (female) x eight (male) genotypes in L x T fashion along with their 12 parents and two standard checks (JLT-408 and PRACHI) evaluated during summer, 2019-20 at Oilseeds Research Station, Latur. Data were recorded on yield and its different contributing traits. The analysis of variance for experimental design revealed significance differences among the parents, hybrids and parents vs hybrids for most of the characters indicated the presence of genetic variability among the experimental material. The crosses viz., SWETHA x V-25, V-34 x TBS-12, V-32 x TBS-7, SWETHA x R-26 and SWETHA x TBS-12 found with high heterobeltiosis and standard heterosis over check JLT-408 and PRACHI for seed yield along with other yield contributing traits. Significant heterobeltiosis and standard heterosis for seed yield were observed for the majority of yield and yield attributing traits. Selection of high heterotic hybrids with high per se performance would be reliable in the improvement of sesame.
Keywords: Sesame, heterosis, heterobeltosis, standard heterosis
Study on the heterosis for yield and yield contributing traits in sesame Sesamum indicum L.. 2022. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 13 3, 1137-1143. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4048
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.