French bean variety Ooty 3 : A high yielding variety suitable for Temperate zones of Tamil Nadu
Selection for earliness, high yield, quality pods, resistance to pests and diseases are the major aims in the French bean. Selection and identification of French bean variety suitable for cultivation are needed. Collections were made at the Nilgiris district and based on evaluation, French bean variety Ooty 3 (pole type) was selected as a pure line. Initially, sixteen different genotypes were collected from different locations and evaluated at Horticultural Research Station, Ooty. A single plant namely PvP5-1 was selected from Nilgiris local based on improvement in pod length, pod number, pod weight, pod circumference and yield per plant. The yield performance of Ooty 3 was superior over check in all the Multi-Location Trials, Adaptive Research Trial and large-scale evaluation trials. Due to its consistent superior performance, it was released as a French bean variety, Ooty 3 during 2018 duly approved by the Crop Scientist Meet, 2017 held at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University and Tamil Nadu State variety release committee to cater for the needs of Tamil Nadu farmers thereby increasing the yield level.
Keywords: French bean, Ooty 3, high yield, quality, Earliness
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.