Estimation of heritability and genetic advance in Mysuru jasmine (Mysuru mallige) - a GI crop of mysuru
At the college of Horticulture, Mysuru, Karnataka, the study was conducted during 2018 kharif using RBD with two replications. Quantitative characters namely petiole length, leaf length, leaf breadth, bud length, bud breadth, flower diameter, flower stalks length or pedicel length, calyx length, the number of sepals/ calyx teeth, the number of whorls, the number of petals, petal length, the number of stamens, length of the anther, length of the filament, length of the style, length of the stigma, length of the corolla tube and flower bud weight were recorded. High (>20%) genotypic coefficient of variation (GCV) and phenotypic coefficient of variation (PCV) was observed for bud length, bud breadth, the number of whorls, the number of petals, pedicel length, length of corolla tube, length of filament, length of style, length of stigma and flower bud weight. Moderate (10 to 20%) GCV and PCV were observed for petiole length, leaf length, leaf breadth, flower diameter, calyx length, the number of calyx teeth, petal size and the number of stamen and length of the anther. The phenotypic co-efficient of variation was more than the genotypic co-efficient of variation for all characters studied. The higher (>20%) values of genetic advance over mean (GAM) coupled with very high (>80%) estimates of heritability were observed for characters viz., bud length, bud breadth, flower diameter, calyx length, the number of calyx teeth, the number of whorls, the number of petals, petal size, pedicel length, length of the corolla tube, the number of stamens, length of anther, length of the filament, length of the style, length of the stigma and flower bud weight. Moderate heritability (40-60%) with low GAM was observed for petiole length. The variance due to genotypes was highly significant for all the characters except for length of the leaf.
Keywords: Mysuru mallige, genetic advance heritability, PCV, GCV
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.