Genetic variability and diversity analyses in Electron Beam and Gamma Ray induced mutants for yield attributing traits in Urdbean [Vigna mungo (L.)]
An investigation was carried out in Electron Beam and Gamma Ray induced thirty eight Urdbean mutants with two checks to explore the genetic variability and diversity. Based on the overall performance of yield attributing traits, mutants viz., ACM-014-021, ACM-015-015, ACM-015-011, ACM-015-025, ACM-015-026 and ACM-014-007 were found to be superior and could be used in breeding programme for advancing yield coupled with batter quality. High phenotypic and genotypic coefficients of variation were recorded towards single plant yield and peduncle length. High heritability along with high genetic advance was noticed for base length, peduncle length, clusters count per plant, pods count per plant and seed yield per plant. The experiment on correlation showed that seed yield per plant recorded high positive correlation with pods count per plant, pod length, clusters count per plant and seeds per pod. Genetic diversity analysis resulted in grouping of forty genotypes viz., 38 mutants and two varieties into two clusters. Cluster I had 16 mutant lines along with VBN (Bg) 4 variety and cluster II had 22 mutant lines along with MDU1 variety. D2 cluster analysis based on eleven quantitative characters resulted in five groups with cluster V containing maximum of sixteen mutants along with two check varieties followed by clusters I with 15 mutants, cluster IV with three mutants and cluster II and III with two mutants each. The cluster per se performance revealed that cluster III recorded the maximum mean values for branches per plant, clusters, pod numbers per plant, quantity of seeds per pod, test weight, seed yield per plant and plant height. Cluster IV had the highest mean value for base length and pod length. Cluster I had the maximum peduncle length. As the mutants falling between cluster IV and V exhibited maximum inter-cluster distance, selection of parents could be made from these clusters for future breeding program.
Keywords: Variability, Association analysis, Diversity, Urdbean.
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.