Combining ability analysis in sunflower (Helianthus annuus L.)
A study was carried out to assess the combining ability of ten CMS lines with four testers using the line x tester method. Biometrical observations were taken for days to 50% flowering, plant height, head diameter, days to maturity, volume weight, hundred seed weight, seed yield /plant, oil content and oil yield/plant. Specific combing ability variance was greater than the general combining ability variance for all the characters which indicated that non-additive gene action played a major role in inheritance. The gca of parents were not in agreement with the per se performance for various traits. Hence, the selection of parents should be based on gca alone for a breeding programme. Three lines viz., COSF 12A, COSF 13A and CMS 207A, and tester IR 6 were identified as good general combiners for seed and oil yield. Among the hybrids generated using good general combiners, COSF 13A x IR 6 had the additive type of gene action for seed and oil yield per plant. In general, most of the crosses had non-significant sca for oil yield per plant and oil content which indicated the presence of an additive type of gene action. Hence, the selection of good general combiners for oil content, seed and oil yield will help to evolve high oil yielding hybrids in sunflowers.
Keywords: Sunflower, line x tester, combining ability, seed yield, oil yield
Combining ability analysis in sunflower Helianthus annuus L.. 2022. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 13 3, 1036-1041. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4409
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.