Morphological characterization and new variation in compound leaf of mungbean (Vigna radiata L. Wilczek) genotypes
The present investigation was executed under field conditions that favour normal growth and expression for all descriptors. A collection of 40 mungbean genotypes were characterised for 21 agro-morphological traits during the summer 2021 and 2022. The experimental material was evaluated in three replications in RCBD and observations were recorded as per DUS guidelines. The phenotypic assessment showed polymorphism for the characters such as hypocotyl anthocyanin coloration, stem colour, leaf shape, leaf colour, leaf vein colour, petiole colour, flower petal colour, pod position, pod colour, pod curvature, seed colour, seed size etc. Some special character including yellow seed colour of local germplasm ‘yellow-mung’ diversified the crop. Furthermore, an increased number of leaflet viz. quadrifoliate and pentafoliate compound leaf variations were also observed rather than the normal trifoliate compound leaf of mungbean. The standard descriptors can be used as a marker to characterize the crop species for utilization of germplasm and conservation programmes.
Keywords: characterization, compound leaf, DUS, greengram, polymorphism
Morphologicalandnbsp; characterizationandnbsp; andandnbsp; newandnbsp; variationandnbsp; inandnbsp; compoundandnbsp; leafandnbsp; ofandnbsp; mungbean Vigna radiata L. Wilczekandnbsp; genotypes. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 13 4, 1354-1364. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4448
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.