Character association and path analysis in kodo millet (Paspalum scrobiculatum L.) with relation to yield and its attributing traits
Kodo millet (Paspalum scrobiculatum L.) is an important nutri-cereal. Gujarat, a Western state in India with favorable edapho-climatic factors may contribute in augmenting kodo millet production if suitable crop improvement programme is implemented. Study of character association reveals important yield component traits which could be selected for overall yield enhancement hence in development of better genotypes. In the present investigation, 49 genotypes of kodo millet were evaluated during kharif 2021 for 19 quantitative traits with an aim to identify important yield components. Genotypic (rg) and phenotypic correlation (rp) coefficients were estimated followed by path coefficient analysis. The study revealed that direct selection based on harvest index and fodder yield per plant may help in augmenting grain yield as the traits had strongest positive association and maximum direct effect on grain yield per plant. Crude protein content (%) and plant height appeared to be most important characters for indirect selection.
Keywords: Kodo millet, Correlation, Path analysis, Yield components
Character association and path analysis in kodo millet Paspalum scrobiculatum L. with relation to yield and its attributing traits. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 14 2, 730-736. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4452
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.