Characterisation, genetic parameters of variation and correlation studies in Molakolukulu Rice cultivars of Andhra Pradesh, India
The present investigation was carried out to study the genotypic ad phenotypic coefficient of variation and character association in 25 molakolukulu rice genotypes. It revealed significant differences among the genotypes with respect to yield and quality. High PCV and GCV were recorded for gel consistency followed by alkali spreading value, zinc content and oil content, the estimates of heritability coupled with genetic advance as per cent of mean were high for the characters viz., plant height, flag leaf length, filled grains per panicle, gel consistency, iron content and oil content. Correlation studies revealed that filled grains per panicle and flag leaf breadth were found to possess significant positive association with grain yield per plant. Among the quality traits, alkali spreading value exhibited positive significant association with amylose content. Path analysis revealed that number of filled grains per panicle exhibited positive direct effect on grain yield per plant. Among the quality traits, alkali spreading value had positive direct effect on amylose content. Therefore, selection in favour of filled grains per panicle and flag leaf breadth would improve grain yield per plant. Alkali digestion values, on the other hand would be useful as a selection criterion for amylase content in molagolukulu rice.
Keywords: Variability, Correlation, Path analysis, Molagolukulu rice
Characterisation, genetic parameters of variation and correlation studies in Molakolukulu Rice cultivars of Andhra Pradesh, India. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 14 2, 540-550. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4474
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.