Appraisal of combining ability and gene action for yield, it’s governing characters and quality traits in tomato (Solanum lycopersicum L.)
The present research was undertaken to examine the combining ability of 10 parents and 21 hybrids that resulted from crossing of seven lines and three testers in line × tester mating design, for yield and quality governing traits in tomato. The study indicated that no single parent was the finest combiner of all the attributes. The estimated variance resulting from GCA was significant for fruit yield per plant and fruit girth, suggesting that the additive gene action was responsible for these characteristics. The SCA variance was observed significant for plant height, fruits per plant, TSS and ascorbic acid, manifesting that inheritance of these characters was governed by dominant and epistatic gene action. Combining ability studies indicated that fruit weight and seeds per fruit exhibited significant GCA and SCA variance, while their relative magnitude bear witness to non-additive gene effect. The estimates of gca effects demonstrated that, the line NTL-14-08 is good general combiner for fruit yield per plant.
Keywords: Tomato, hybrid, combining ability, gene action, TSS, ascorbic acid
Appraisal of combining ability and gene action for yield, it’s governing characters and quality traits in tomato Solanum lycopersicum L.. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 14 2, 752-757. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4494
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.