Analysis of variability and correlations among different forage traits in guar (Cyamopsis tetragonoloba L.Taub.)
The present study was conducted with 15 genotypes at experimental area of Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana during Kharif 2021 with an objective to assess the variability, correlations and path coefficients among different forage and quality traits. The traits like leaf stem ratio followed by number of branches per plant, stem girth, number of leaves per plant, dry matter yield and green fodder yield exhibited high PCVand GCVvalues. High heritability (> 90%) was observed for plant height, number of branches per plant, number of leaves per plant, stem girth, days to flowering and leaf stem ratio while more than 85% heritability was observed for green fodder yield. Higher genetic advance was observed for leaf stem ratio (48.9%) followed by number of branches per plant (35.9%), stem girth (32.1%) and number of leaves per plant (25.3%). Traits like plant height (0.42), number of branches per plant (0.75), stem girth (0.61) had significant positive correlation with green fodder yield. High positive direct effects were observed for number of branches per plant (0.890), acid detergent fiber (0.620), Leaf stem ratio (0.514), dry matter yield (0.508) and number of leaves (0.419).The results revealed that traits like number of leaves per plant, leaf stem ratio and number of branches per plant are the main forage yield components which can be improved through selection.
Keywords: Variability, Correlation, Path coefficients, Green fodder, Guar
andnbsp;Analysis of variability and correlations among different forage traits in guar Cyamopsis tetragonoloba L.Taub.. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 14 1, 323-328. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4560
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.