Combining ability analysis for grain yield and quality characters in pearl millet [Cenchrus americanus (L.) Morrone]
The objective of the present study is to estimate the combining ability effects among parents and their crosses in pearl millet, to identify promising cross combinations for grain yield and its component traits. In combining ability analysis, the extent of sca variance was higher than gca variance for all of the characters demonstrating the predominance of non-additive gene action except for panicle length and 1000-grain weight. The estimates of general combining ability suggested that parents, RIB 17 S/109, RIB 16300, RIB 37-40 S/17, RIB 13-16 S/17, ICMA 96666 and ICMA 94111 were good general combiners for yield and its contributing characters. The best hybrid, ICMA 94111 x RIB 16296 involved low x low performing parents which exhibited high positive and significant SCA effect for grain yield and most of the yield contributing and quality traits like protein, iron and zinc. These good combiner lines may be exploited to develop iron and zinc rich hybrids along with grain yield to alleviate malnutrition in people of the country.
Keywords: Pearl millet, combining ability, gene action, male sterile line, tester.
Combining ability analysis for grain yield and quality characters in pearl millet [Cenchrus americanus L. Morrone]. 2023. Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, 14 1, 170-176. Retrieved from https://ejplantbreeding.org/index.php/EJPB/article/view/4642
It is certified that:
- The corresponding author is fully responsible for any disputes arising due to the publication of his/her manuscript.
- The article has been seen by all the authors who are satisfied with its form and content.
- The sequence of names of authors in the by-line is as per their relative contribution to this experiment, giving due credit to all scientists who made notable contribution to it.
- All the authors fully understand that inclusion of any other co-authors or exclusion of any co-authors is not possible once the article has been submitted to the journal.
- The corresponding author takes full responsibility for this article.
- The address of the organization where the research was conducted is given.
- The article is exclusive for this journal, and the results reported here have not been sent (and will not be sent during its consideration by this journal) for publication in any other journal.
- Authors agree to abide by the objective comments of referees and do agree to modify the article into a short note as per the recommendation, for publication in the Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding.
- If published in Electronic Journal of Plant Breeding, the copyright of this article would vest with the Indian Society of Plant Breeders, who will have the right to enter into any agreement with any organization in India or abroad engaged in reprography, photocopying, storage and dissemination of information contained in it, and neither we nor our legal heirs will have any claims on royalty.